our association laboratory Artaud center of theatrical research. in collaboration with the City Committee Borgo Porteo Finis Populus, recently established in Padua, is organizing in the period July 17 / September 13, 2020, a project called Borgo Porteo in comedia, training workshop on commedia dell’arte. This is a project, which provides, for the first year, the organization and development of three sites / workshops, led by talented masqueraders and actors of international relevance, with a specific and very thorough knowledge of the practices and techniques of Commedia dell’Arte. The project foresees the organization and the carrying out of the three construction sites, of which we will mention below, in the setting of Piazza Portello (open air), also in relation to the containment measures related to the health emergency in progress. Many, in addition to this, are the reasons that led us to design and organize the Borgo Porteo in Comedia project, among others;
– the coexistence, in the same neighborhood 1 Center, of our laboratory Artaud (at the former slaughterhouse of Padua and that this year turns a quarter of a century, if not more), not because the residence of some of us at Portello in Padua;
– the birth of the City Committee Borgo Porteo Finis Populus, which some of us helped to create;
– the condition of the Portello district, from the times of the health emergency to the present day, almost deserted, in the absence of university and high school students;
– the problems of the merchants in the neighbourhood, with serious problems of economic management (from bars to copy shops) following the closure of the University and High Schools;
– the insufficient valorization that has marked, for several years now, the condition of Piazza Portello in Padua, without simple activities or even small events, in one of the most historical and ancient districts of Padua;
– the awareness that the skills related to manual professions (in this case sculpture/woodworking and leather/mask making) are gradually thinning out;
– as well as the knowledge of the techniques and practices of the Comedians of the Art, which in Padua, instead, thanks to the studies of Dr.ssa Ester Cocco who found a document in the Notarial Archives of Padua, proves that a company of comedians was formed in this city since February 25th 1545, with a registered contract (I Teatri di Padova, from the origins to the end of the 19th century, Bruno Brunelli, Libreria Angelo Draghi, Padua, 1921).
– that it is our intention, also through these yards, to retrace these historical events in rebours and to regularly constitute, according to the ancient dictates, a fraternal sock company, called ea Mosqueta, also in Padua, as in Venice.
THE BORGO PORTEO IN COMEDIA PROJECT
commedia dell’arte training workshops
padova – piazza portello – 17 luglio / 13 settembre 2020 (Italy)
with the patronage of the Veneto Region
The project provides, as mentioned above, for this first edition, the organization and holding of three workshops/ seminars in the period from July 17 to September 13, 2020, in Piazza Portello and open air, described below:
I° WORKSHOP (open air)
THE CONSTRUCTION OF A THEATRICAL MASK: CRETA SCULPTURE and REALIZATION OF A CHEST MATRIX (1st part) or realization of a leather mask on the models/matrices of the catalogue of the commedia dell’arte owned by ZORBA OfficineCREATIVE
17-18-19 July 2020 – padova – piazza portello
held by ANDREA CAVARRA
ZORBA OfficineCreative – Milan
with opening hours Friday 17, Saturday 18, Sunday 19 July 2020 at 10.00 – 18.00
After a first part dedicated to the study of traditional models (Greek and Roman theatre, commedia dell’arte, Indonesian and Japanese theatre) each participant will create his or her own clay model, and then create the plaster matrix. The alabaster chalk work allows to create a matrix without the need of a particular skill or preparation of a sculptural type. During the same period, those who are only interested in the leather mask will be able to create it starting from an existing cast/matrix from the ZORBA OfficineCreative catalogue. At the end of the course the realized matrix/mould will remain the property of each participant. The course includes an subscription fee and places available are limited. Registrations/reservations will be accepted in chronological order, subject to availability of places, according to the indications that will be sent to applicants through the form below or by telephone.
II° WORKSHOP (open air)
CONSTRUCTION OF A THEATRICAL LEATHER MASK
(2st part) 7 – 9 August 2020 – padova – piazza portello
held by ANDREA CAVARRA
ZORBA OfficineCreative – Milan
with opening hours Friday 7, Saturday 8, Sunday 9 August 2020 at 10.00 – 18.00
In this second part, the leather mask will be made on the previously made plaster matrix or, those who have not created their own model, through the use of traditional techniques and tools, will be able to make one of the typical masks of the Commedia dell’arte, starting from an already existing matrix of the ZORBA OfficineCreative catalogue. At the end of the course, the mask and/or matrix created will remain the property of each participant. …a weekend full-immersion in a path guided by a talented mask maker and theatre master on leather working techniques and the realization of Commedia dell’Arte masks. An opportunity for training, knowledge and development of their manual skills, which will give participants the opportunity to produce an artifact of great artistic value, choosing to work on their own wooden matrix or choose a model from the catalog of Zorba Officine Creative, to create a work tool, if actors, or a theatrical object if artisans. The leather mask made, finished and wearable will eventually be the property of each participant. The course includes an subscription fee and places available are limited. Registrations/reservations will be accepted in chronological order, subject to availability of places, according to the indications that will be sent to applicants through the form below or by telephone.
III° WORKSHOP (open air)
PRACTICES AND TECHNIQUES
of the COMMEDIA DELL’ARTE
11 – 13 September 2020 – padova – piazza portello
held by CLAUDIA CONTIN ARLECCHINO
with the assistance of LUCA FANTINUTTI
PORTO ARLECCHINO – Pordenone
Friday 11, Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 September
with timetable 10.00 a.m. – 18.00 p.m.
…a weekend full immersion in a theatrical path of actor training guided by the only actress/woman Harlequin in Italy and at the same time professional mask maker, on the practices, techniques and movement of masks and actors/actresses, which has received national and international awards and has been missing from the city of Padua since 13 years. The course includes an subscription fee and places available are limited. Registrations/reservations will be accepted in chronological order, subject to availability of places, according to the indications that will be sent to applicants through the form below or by telephone.
info and requests for participation